Fitness is my life and it has been since 2008 when I decided to commit to starting P90X. I was at a VERY LOW point in my life at that time, being out of shape and lacking confidence, and I knew that I had to start doing things differently. I came across the P90X infomercial late one night while watching TV and I guess the rest is history! I ended up committing to the program, losing 25 lbs,10% body fat, and getting into the best shape of my entire life. Since then, I have committed to learning as much as I can about health and fitness and leading a healthy lifestyle. Now, as a full-time Beachbody Coach, I help others go through the various Beachbody programs and make sure they are supported, motivated, and are doing the right things. For those of you who might just be starting P90X, Here are my 8 tips to help you out!
(1) Follow the Nutrition Guide. As I tell all the people I coach, results come from 80% diet and 20% workouts! If you don’t commit yourself to the diet, you’re not going to get the results you want, period. Even if you’re working out every day, 1-2 cheat days a week and you could be looking at little to no progress at all! The first thing you need to do before you start the program is take the time to read through the entire P90X Nutrition Guide so that you understand what you should be eating, how many calories you should be taking in, and the fat/carb/protein breakdown (macros). Once you understand what you should be eating, create an account at My Fitness Pal and keep track of what you’re eating on a daily basis. MFP has a great app that I think is even better than the website itself. Also, don’t be afraid to eat the same things every day! During my first round, I literally ate just about the same thing every single day for each phase.
(2) Take the right supplements. Supplements have played a HUGE role in my results, and they are something that I recommend to everyone I coach. However, it’s important that you use the RIGHT SUPPLEMENTS! There are so many supplements out there that are CRAP quality, and what good is that going to do if you’re trying to get healthy? Make sure you are taking high quality supplements that you know are good for you. The supplements that I have done research on, use, and recommend are Shakeology, Suma, E&E, creatine monohydrate (if you’re trying to bulk up), whey protein, and the Recovery Formula. I use Shakeology as a meal replacement, take the E&E and Suma about 20 minutes before the workout, and the Recovery Formula or Shakeology as a post workout recovery drink. When I’m taking whey, I will either mix it in with my post workout drink or have it as a snack, and if I’m using creatine, I take it about 20 minutes before my workout as well. Remember, when it comes to supplements, DON’T SACRIFICE QUALITY!
(3) You need support. You need to find someone that will hold you accountable, answer your questions, help you, and PUSH YOU for the entire 90 days! If you’re starting P90X, this is an absolute MUST! Luckily for you, that’s what us Beachbody Coaches are here for. If you don’t have a coach yet and want one, I’d love to be your coach and help you through the program. All you have to do is click here! It’s free to get signed up.
(4) Create goals and take pictures. What you need to do before starting P90X is take some time to think about what goals you want to accomplish by the end of your 90 days. How much weight do you want to lose? How many inches do you want to lose or gain (if trying to gain mass)? What pant size do you want to fit into? Once you figure those out, write them down and stick them somewhere you will see them every day, like in front of your computer or even in your living room. When you see your goals every day, it will help you stay focused on what you need to do to reach them. Also, make sure you take pictures on Day 1, 30, 60, and 90! Progress pictures are important because they allow you to see the progress you make, helping you stay motivated.
(5) Modify. There is nothing wrong with modifying the exercises if you can’t do the original one! This is the reason Tony Horton always has someone showing the modified versions in each of the workouts. When I first started P90X, I had to modify quite a bit, especially the cardio workouts. However, it’s very important that you PUSH YOURSELF as much as you possibly can so that you can work your way towards doing the original exercises. Also, make sure you talk to your doctor before starting P90X to make sure that the program is OK for you to do!
Hopefully you found these P90X tips helpful. These 5 tips that I listed are VERY IMPORTANT and if you can follow them, you’re well on your way to getting great results! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.