Ah yes, something I get asked about quite often, how to be a successful male Beachbody Coach. If you look at Team Beachbody as a whole, it’s mostly made up of women. However, there are some very successful male Coaches out there who have done it right and built massive teams made up of mostly men. My team is one of those teams. Before I share my tips on how you can be successful, let me share a little bit about my team and what we’re all about.
My team is called Team Next Level. I started the team back in 2008 when I first started the Beachbody Business. I was this young, 23 year old dude right out of college, just trying to find my way in the world. I was a Financial Advisor when I first started Beachbody, but I couldn’t stand the career because I felt like I was that typical sales guy. Cold calls, door to door stuff, the job sucked, and I decided to become a Coach for some sort of escape from all of that crap. It worked. I finally felt good about what I was doing. I had always had a passion for fitness, but it was amplified after I went through my first round of P90X, and I got great satisfaction from helping others through the program and recommending supplements that I used that worked for me. I would work all day with my “real job” and then come home to massive amounts of emails and messages from those looking for my help to get into shape. I’d be up real late at night responding and reaching out to people because I loved what I was doing. Eventually, it got to the point where my income from Beachbody started growing, and I decided to focus more attention on it, so I quit my job as a Financial Advisor and started working part time with my dad. That’s when the real progress was made.
In 2010 I decided to go full time as a Beachbody Coach. In that year alone I had quadrupled my income and built a massive organization, along with help my Coaches become successful as well. I believe I had 9 or 10 of my personally sponsored Coaches that year turn Diamond, one of the highest ranks you can achieve, and most of them were male Beachbody Coaches. In addition to that, I had won the Top Beachbody Coach award out of over 50,000 Coaches in the network. For the next 2 years the Top Coach award was kept on our team, as one of the guys that I brought into the business won it as well. No other team in the Team Beachbody network has won 3 Top Coach belts in a row other than our team. At 27 years old I was inducted into the Beachbody Millionaire’s Club, and so were 2 other Coaches of mine not too long afterwards. Today we have well over 10,000 Coaches on our team. The reason I’m sharing all this is because we are one of the VERY FEW male Beachbody teams out there with a massive amount of success.
So, if you’re wondering how to become a successful male Beachbody Coach, now’s the time where I’m going to share some important tips.
Successful Male Beachbody Coach Tips
(1) Men are not women. This is an overly obvious statement, but there are so many guy Beachbody Coaches out there who think that they can run their businesses the exact same way the women do. It doesn’t work that way. All you’re doing is setting yourself up for failure. Think about it. Men and women are completely different. The majority of men are extremely competitive, don’t like to show their emotions, and not too thrilled about opening up about their personal life to strangers. That’s me in a nutshell. They also aren’t as active on social media as women are. If you’ve ran a typical Challenge Group on Facebook, you’ve probably noticed that the men fall off after the first damn day. Why? Because we’re not going to sit there and tell our “why” to a bunch of random people. A lot of us tend to run away from anything that involves emotion. We will open up when we’re good and ready to open up. Now that you understand this, let’s move to the 2nd tip.
(2) Stop trying to run a system made for women and create a system that appeals to your market of men. I mentioned this briefly above, but now it’s time for the details. First, you’ve got to figure out what exactly your market is. You’re going to attract people who are like you, so who are you? Seriously, I’m asking you. What do you enjoy doing? What are your interests? Do you like football? Snowboarding? Yoga? Gaining mass? Swimming? Figure it out. With me, for example, I love baseball, football, spending time with my family (wife and 2 girls), snowboarding, gaining mass, leaning out, learning about supplements, playing darts and pool, throwing a few back with my buddies, traveling, and cars. However, I am also a very driven, ambitious, stubborn, organized, level headed guy who is competitive and hates being beat in anything. That’s who I am, so that’s who I attract. Once you figure out who you are, then you can begin to develop a system that works for your market. The more you try to plug your male Beachbody Coaches into a system that’s made for women, the more you’re going to have a tougher time succeeding.
(3) I keep talking about a system, so now it’s time to share what mine is and how you can develop your own. Without a system, you will fail. Systems are what lead to duplication, and excellent duplication is how you become a Top Beachbody Coach. With no system, your Coaches are left out there trying to figure this crap out on their own, and your customers won’t be supported properly. The reason why I had you figure out your market is so that you can know exactly who you’re dealing with and generally who you will attract. Once you know that, then you can develop a system that will relate to your market. For me, my system is a 3 part system. My goal is to create groups where my market will feel comfortable and engage, along with be supported properly, and I’ve done just that. I have a 5 day free group for my customers called the “PUSH to Get SWOLL” that I run every month, and then I form a longer, 30 day group called the “Man Cave,” that only guys can join and learn about supplements, workouts, nutrition, and pretty much talk about anything they want to talk about. There are no rules in the Man Cave group and we make that very clear from the very beginning. Because there are no rules and requirements (other than the program and supplements to get in it), the engagement is better than any other group I’ve ran before. Why? Because these guys are exactly like me. They don’t like to be told to do anything, don’t like rules, don’t like to talk about their emotions unless they feel comfortable, and just want to be in a place where they can be a guy and have a good time. If they want to talk about sports, then they can. If they want to talk about their favorite beer, they are free to do so. With my market specifically, this is a perfect system. After the group is over, I then invite those who I feel would make great Coaches to become a Coach. I run a 3 Day Sneak Peek that they can be a part of if they choose, and a lot of them do, and many of them sign up as Coaches.
(4) Here’s a big one, so pay close attention. Once you create a system, you have to stay CONSISTENT with it and plug your customers and Coaches into it. Remember, you are going to attract who you are (as long as you are transparent when you post on social media and talk to others), so once you sign up a Coach, you have to plug them immediately back into the system. Because they are like you, they will attract people like you, meaning your system will be perfect for them to plug THEIR customers into. Do you see where I’m going with this? Let’s take my system, for example. Once a Coach signs up, I have them invite their customers to my PUSH to Get SWOLL group, I help them move their customers to the Man Cave group, and then to the 3 Day Coach Sneak Peek. Once they sign up as Coaches, they plug their customers into the system the following month, and then duplication occurs. You cannot be a successful male Beachbody Coach without a great system.
(5) Don’t forget about competition. Guy’s hate to be beat, so use our competitive nature to fuel some excitement in your groups. Throw out push-up and pull-up challenges, give a tub of E&E to the guy in the group who comes up with the toughest workout move on video, give a bag of Shakeology to the guy who has the best results in 30 days, but whatever you do, create competition. You can do this with your Coaches as well. Tell your male Coaches that you will send a medicine ball to the guy who invites the most people to the 30 day group. You better believe if that challenge was thrown to me when I first started as a Coach that I would be the one winning that damn medicine ball. I hate to be beat and so do most other men.
(6) Support is STILL key! You can support a guy without making it awkward. Your job as a Coach, whether your a male Beachbody Coach or not, is to make sure the people you are helping have the best opportunity to succeed. That involves your personal mentorship and support. You can’t just throw guys into a group and expect them to be all happy and post every day. Check in with them, ask them how they’re doing, talk about sports, talk about any common interest, I don’t care, but support them like they need to be supported. When I first went through P90X, my Coach, Barbie, contacted me daily and it’s one of the reasons why I got such great results and eventually signed up as a Coach under her. In addition, talk to these guys like you would talk to your best friend. Eventually, when they feel comfortable enough with you, you can talk about their “why,” or the TRUE reason why they decided to make a change in their health. For men, it just takes a little longer to get to that point than with women. That “why” is a powerful thing, trust me. The one “why” that all father’s have in common is to be a positive example for their children. It’s our job as men to support our family, keep them healthy, and make sure they are taken care of. That was and still is my motivation to continue what I do every single day.
(7) Put earning income BEHIND helping others. This is crucial for any Coach. Recommending something for someone should be because you truly want to help them, not make money off of them. If you approach people for your benefit, then you will never be a successful Coach. From the very beginning of my Coaching career, all I cared about was helping people. It goes back to my experience with the Big Brother’s Big Sister’s organization. When I was a part of that, I felt fulfilled, and I feel the exact same way as a Beachbody Coach. Giving back and knowing you’re having a positive impact on someone’s life is one of the best things you can experience, and at the end of the day, you feel great about who you are as an individual. The interesting thing about our business, though, is that if you focus on helping people for THEIR benefit, you can and will build a successful business. Always remember that.
(8) This is getting long, and I could probably go on for another few hours, but the last tip I want to give is to RECOGNIZE your Coaches. Guys love recognition, sometimes even more than income itself, so make sure you give credit when credit is due. The hardest thing for me to do with my business was to stop focusing so much on personal recognition because it was slowing my team growth, which was also slowing my income growth as well. I could have gone for Top Coach or Top 10 Elite again, but I didn’t. I had to swallow my pride and sacrifice recognition for growth. But make no mistake, I love recognition. When your male customers get excellent results, share it on social media and tag them in the post; when your male Coaches reach 2 Star Diamond, send them tickets to a game of their favorite sports team; when one of your Coaches pays off all their debt, recognize them for that incredible achievement. When us fellas get recognized, it’s motivation for us to continue pushing hard for better results.
(9) One more thing, so this actually is the last tip. SHARE YOUR RESULTS! Let me ask you something. Let’s say that you’re a guy that’s overweight, wanting to get into shape, but have absolutely no idea where the hell to start. If you saw one of your Facebook friends post their “before and after” pictures, showing them go from being in the same shape you’re currently in to freakin’ ripped in 90 days, would that inspire you and cause you to reach out to him? HELL YEAH it would! Not enough of you male Beachbody Coaches are sharing your results. This is so important, and there are so many different avenues where you can do this. Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, blog posts, bodybuilding forums, etc. You just have to get yourself out there. People want to see REAL results, not the photoshopped crap that you always see going around, so if you have the results, do your best to get them out there. I’m sure you have seen my results floating around on the internet, and if not, here are my original P90X results. I can’t tell you how many people have seen my results and contacted me because of it.
Hopefully now you have an idea on how to become a successful male Beachbody Coach. I shared a lot of helpful stuff with you guys, so make sure you take what you learned and apply it to your Beachbody Business. Stop spinning your wheels and plugging into systems that are created specifically for women. Rather, create your own and gain some momentum. If you have any questions whatsoever, whether it’s about my team, me individually, or additional tips on how to be a successful Coach, don’t hesitate to contact me.